HOME > FAQ
Relating to materials
- What are "Asian Historical Records"?
- The "Asian Historical Records" that form the content of the JACAR database are "Japan's documents and other records having importance as historical records concerning Japan's relationship with neighboring Asian countries and other countries in modern times."
- From what periods do the materials come from, on which JACAR provides information?
- The materials come from the periods starting from the Meiji era to the end of World War II.
- What kinds of materials are maintained in the JACAR database?
- Among the materials possessed by Japan's institutions, for the time being JACAR is supplying access to image information, as they become available, of Asian historical records kept by The National Archives of Japan, The Diplomatic Records Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and The National Institute for Defense Studies of the Ministry of Defense.
- How frequently are the data updated?
- We plan to update data as preparations make them available, with the aim of a quarterly basis. We will announce the schedule for updates, etc., on the website as occasion calls
- Does JACAR collect materials on its own initiative?
- In accordance with the Japanese Cabinet decision （January 30, 1999）, "On promoting the project for maintenance of Asian historical records" JACAR's task is providing access through the Internet and other means to Asian historical records kept by Japan, and the collection of material is not part of our operational scope.
- Does JACAR supply materials besides those of The National Archives of Japan, The Diplomatic Records Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and The National Institute for Defense Studies of the Ministry of Defense?
- The materials that JACAR provides are Asian historical records kept by the state. At present, we are providing materials from 3 state institutions including the National Archives of Japan that have collected Asian historical records, although with future investigation this range may expand.
- Is it possible to peruse original material （actual texts） by visiting the JACAR facility?
- JACAR is an institution providing information access through the Internet to images of original materials and does not keep the original materials （actual texts） themselves for browse. For browse of original material, inquire with the collection institutions that keep them （The National Archives of Japan, The Diplomatic Records Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and The National Institute for Defense Studies of the Ministry of Defense, etc.）.
- Can materials downloaded or printed from the JACAR database be quoted in theses, etc.?
- In case of secondary use of materials such as grounds of argument, references, etc., in writings such as articles or theses, etc., there is no need to apply for permission from the Director General of JACAR. If uncertain whether a certain usage constitutes quotation or not, inquire directly with JACAR.
- Does JACAR respond to questions concerning the content of materials downloaded from its database?
- JACAR will respond to questions concerning the content of material, etc., to the best of our ability. Depending on the content of the question, however, due to referring to relevant collection institutions for their information if needed, etc., the response may take time or may not be able to address the question as the inquirer expected.
Relating to display of images
- What is DjVu （compression software）?
- This is the next generation imaging format supplied by LizardTech, a U.S. company. DjVu is characterized by extremely high data compression as well as superb reproduction and readability of text portions.To peruse DjVu images, compatible software （DjVu Browser Plug-in） is necessary. The DjVu Browser Plug-in that operates with Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator （Communicator） can be downloaded free of charge from the JACAR website.
- Are the materials provided by JACAR not viewable without using the DjVu Browser Plug-in?
- JACAR's materials are image information and have been made into DjVu format due to the large volume of pages. This also has drastically shortened the time necessary for transfer of data and display of images. For these reasons we request this DjVu plug-in be used.
- What are the system requirements for DjVu Browser Plug-in?
- OS: Windows98, 2000, ME, NT4.0 or XP RAM: 64MBor higher Browser: Netscape Navigator 4.7 or later Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later HD: 1.5 MB of available hard-disk space for installed product for each browser running on the user's machine. *Microsoft, Windows8 , Windows NT8 are registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation, USA / DjVu 8 is a trademark of Lizardtech Inc., USA / Netscape, Netscape Navigator are registered trademarks of Netscape Communication Corporation, USA in the United States of America and other countries.
- Is permission needed for forming a link to the JACAR website?
- In principle, users can form links to the JACAR website without expressed permission, though we do request prior notification. The following should be noted:
- Links to our website for purposes of profit are prohibited.
- Linkage to our website that incorporates our website as part of another website is prohibited. Make settings for a new browser to open for linking to our website.